Friday, August 3, 2012

Running Check-In Weeks 8 and 9

I guess keeping up with running progress every 2 weeks isn't awful :)

I'm just trucking right along. Training is going well and I am progressing slow and steady. I've stuck mostly to the training schedule, but last week ran extra one day when I was feeling good and less on the day I wasn't feeling as well. Here's how the last 2 weeks have gone.

Week 8
Runs scheduled were: 3, 4, 4.5, 8
Day 1: Did exactly 3
Day 2: 4.02
Day 3: I needed to do 4.5 but......I ran 1.25. Ridiculous, yea? It's because my running shoes are hurting my feet so I ran in some other running shoes that I have. I was not digging them at all. boo
Day 4: 8 miles. Yay! I was a little nervous because of the run the day before, but I did it and ran 6, stopped for Gu and water and finished it out.

Gu...yea...nasty. Well, maybe it was just the kind I had. Not a fan. I got a different flavor today so hopefully it will be better tasting.

Week 9
Runs scheduled were: 4, 4.5, 5, 9
Day 1: I ran 7.07 instead of 4.  I ran with my running buddies and we set out to do 6 so that was a good run to push me a little bit.
Day 2: I only did 2.5.
Day 3: I did 4
Day 4: 9 miles. I was kinda dreading this because OMG it's 9 miles. I went on and ran in this morning instead of tomorrow because I have to be at in-service all day tomorrow. Anyway, considering my shoe situation, which isn't terrible, it just isn't super comfy either, I was super excited to have run this entire distance. I felt great, got rained on and really enjoyed this run. My right toes and my left knee were hurting a little at mile 7-ish but it was bearable and I pushed through. My time wasn't awesome. I hr and 38 minutes but I'm not too focused on time right now. Getting distance comfortably is the most important thing for me as of now. Speaking of. This week ended an important milestone in training for me because it was my "goal week". From week one I set today as the goal for running 7 miles. I wanted to be running that distance comfortably by today and I did it :) Proud moment for sure.

I have just over 10 weeks left in training which means I am halfway through in weeks but more than half way in distance! The long runs I have left are 10, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13.5, 14, 14, 9 and RACE DAY!

Gosh, that still feels daunting, but I am super excited to be making steady progress and I have to say, I am pretty proud too.

Oh yea, so the shoes. Ugh, so I am currently running in some old New Balances. They are alright. I like the structure of the shoe and how they allow my feet to hit the pavement, but they are heavy and clunky and my left foot feels 10 kinds of pain when I run in them. I am on the search for new shoes and tried on some Brooks today. Hello Heaven!
They were magnificent, but at $120 I couldn't bring myself to purchase them today. I also tried on some Sauconys and liked those too. They were $90. But before I plop down that amount of money on shoes I'm gonna head on over to FleetFeet and get some suggestions on the types of shoes that are best for me. Hopefully that can get done in a week or so, get me some new shoes and be on my happy little running way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment