Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dress Up box

When preschool breaks for the summer I usually give myself a month then start planning for the new year. When school supplies come out it's like Christmas morning for me! LOVE. Anyway, last year I made this reading tent thing out of some left over PVC pipe and fabric I had from Major's carnival party. That tent kind of set the tone for my class in terms of decor. I love the bright colors in it and once I get my room set up this year I will post pics of it.
This year, I am moving into a new class, I will have a new age group and will have 80% girls! I don't really know about girls or what to do with them but everyone tells me dress up is a big hit. If you follow anyone on pinterest, I'm sure you've seen the dress up box on there. A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!  When I saw it, I knew I, I mean my husband,  needed to make it :)

HERE is the original link. And here is the inspiration picture:
Isn't it just perfect for a little girl....or 8 and maybe a couple of boys too?

I liked the blue but wasn't set on using that color. I did anyway since this year I decided to incorporate more blue into the mix. So I'm kind of a copy-cat... :) The letters on mine aren't painted though. I used fabric scraps so that they would match the tent, chair covers, pillows, etc in my room. I just cut them out and then used spray adhesive and modge podge to keep them on.  Anyway, here is the final product:

I put a few of Major's dress ups in there just to get an idea, but thanks so my step-sister, it should be filled with little girl goodies soon.
 Hooks for purses and necklaces
or scarves or boas :)
 Inside there are 3 baskets. I don't know what will go in there, but I'm sure I can find something cute.
 I am loving it so much and can't wait to get it in my room.
So here's the cost break down:
Wood: FREE (we had in in the garage)
Fabric for letters: FREE (had it in my stash)
Paint: ok, originally I was just gonna paint it with a paint brush but Josh said it would be easier to spray paint it. I bought VALSPAR spray paint, which is super awesome bc of the easy to use no ouchy on my fingers button. It was $4 a can and I used 3 and a half cans.
Baskets: $1 each at Dollar Tree

So for $19 I have a super cute dress up box for my sweet little preschoolers. I think if you had to buy all the  materials, you could still get by for under $30. Easy, cute, affordable.

Oh PINTEREST, what in the world did I ever do without you?


No comments:

Post a Comment