Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentines Day

I am full of opinions and random thoughts this week...

Unless you live under a rock, you know that Sunday is Valentines Day. Oh Valentines Day, the day we are supposed to buy gifts for our significant other to show them how much we love them. The day we are supposed to spend $100 for red roses when you can get them for $20 next week. The day that every store in America runs of out chocolate and strawberries. I for one am not a fan. I think Valentines Day is kinda dumb. When you first start dating someone, it is nice to have that "holiday" to look forward to, to be romanced, etc, etc, but for me, the longer I'm with Josh, the more I appreciate small gestures throughout the year.  I would venture to say that most couples would agree that what they define as "sweet and romantic" changes throughout their years together. I think it is so so so much sweeter for him to randomly leave a love note or make breakfast or fold the laundry. Those things show me that he really loves me. It is unprompted, special and he does it because he WANTS to, not because society has put a label on this specific day.
The other morning, as I slept he took care of Major and made breakfast. After breakfast he cleaned the bathrooms without me asking or saying something about it. He just did it. He knows that I do not enjoy that job, so he did it to just help me out. I was so grateful and appreciative and quietly made a memo of his gesture.
I guess what I'm saying is that I think that couples (or maybe I shouldn't generalize); For Josh and I, we work better, appreciate each other more, and stay in love by doing special things for each other all year. Whether it is cleaning the bathroom for the other or making lunch for the next day or leaving a note in his truck to just say I love you, it doesn't matter. It ensures that we have special moments throughout the year, not just Valentines Day. I know that all couples have things like this that keep them going, guessing and falling in love. That's what's so special about relationships.
So our plans for this year are; stay home, take it easy, watch movies with Major and just be. We are blessed to have 12 years together and look forward to many more years worth of Valentines Days together.

Here are a few (and some really terrible pics) of our years together: :) 

                                                    
 
 
 
 
  
  
  
  
  
  
 
   








No comments:

Post a Comment