Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stork Parking...

Today Major and I ventured out of the house in the freezing cold to run some errands and get a few things at the store for his Valentine party at school tomorrow. As I pulled in Kroger I noticed 2 parking spots at the front of the store that were empty and that weren't handicap spots. My immediate thought was.....SCORE! As I got closer however, I noticed that the signs read "Expectant Mother Parking". Immediately my brain went to work thinking about how I felt about that as I parked 2 miles away and carried my very heavy toddler into the store in 20 degree weather. My decision....I am against Stork Parking.  Ok now, before all you pregnant moms come after me and claw my eyes out, let me explain why I think stork parking is, well, not as important as "Stroller Parking" or "Mom's with Young Children Parking".  (In my opinion, I really think they should read "People with Young Children", I mean Dad's venture out with their tots too and they should have the same convenience and safety as a mom) Anyhoo....
How is it fair that only one segment of the inconvenienced population is accommodated with premium parking?  It’s a reasonable question.  True, pregnancy is uncomfortable.  BUT, so is having a cold.  Or having poison ivy, or being post-third-shift, or having a sunburn, or a broken leg, or being morbidly obese. So are migraines, menstrual cramps, and toothaches. So is infertility. And poverty. Why not ditch “Expectant Mother” parking in favor of “Having a Crappy Day” parking?  I'm just sayin'. Of all people I think pregnant women should be catered to and cared for, but as a mother of a very busy toddler, I am thinking it would be AWESOME to have prime parking so that I could get my precious little monster in and out of places quicker, SAFER and with more ease and convenience. All this is coming from a mom with one child. I can only imagine a mother with 2 or more children hauling her brood through a crowded parking lot while Ma'am Preggers gracefully parks in the front space.
Now, don't get me wrong, if I don't have my child with me, then I am more than happy to park at the very back of the parking lot. Lets be honest, I could use the exercise. I am just thinking that in terms of safety and convenience there should be LOTS of close parking for people with small children. If the stores want to still provide Stork Parking, great!  Just add a few more spaces next to them because once that baby is here, I'm sure most mom's would agree that carrying that heavy carseat while dragging her toddler behind her a little less distance would be a relief!

Ok, comment away....the good, the bad and the ugly. How do you feel about stork parking?

1 comment:

  1. LOL, I loved your blog!!! Stork parking is ridiculous, just because your pregnant doesn't mean you can't walk, in fact it's good for you to walk. I don't only have one child i have four, so I guess I am a little resentful when I see a pregnant woman parking up front and here I am 3 miles away from the store trying to keep my clan all together. It's just not right. Her baby is in her belly all nice and warm, my children battle the cold wind on their face just to make it into the store. The signs need to change to "For those with small children."

    ReplyDelete