Thursday, November 1, 2012

Losing teeth

When Major was 10 months old he fell into the door of our front loader washing machine. He busted his mouth and took the fall on the left side of the top row of teeth. For 4 years we have been watching those teeth. At the time, there was no visible damage, no loose teeth, no discoloration. We got LUCKY. Over the past couple of years his front tooth has slowly become darker and darker. That's been the only sign though. It's not extremely significant but I can tell. This week, he started saying his tooth hurt. It is his k-9 though and not the front tooth. So I called the dentist. We went in and they determined he did not have a cavity. Praise God. So, they did and x-ray and bless his heart. That tooth is abscessed in the root and the nerves are damaged which is causing him pain. The only solution to end the pain and to prevent his adult tooth from being damaged is to pull it. I am so sad. I can't believe his first tooth has to be lost this way. I also can't believe it's the dang front and center tooth on the top. It makes my stomach hurt to think about it. I know that's dumb. Josh and the dentist both were like he's gonna lose that one by the time he's 6 or so anyway.....yea but he's not even 5 yet. I just wish it were on the bottom. Oh well, there are much worse things. I hate it for him, but we are kinda playing it up like he gets to join some super special club early before all his preschool friends. That's probably not the best approach esp because he has no problems in the ego department but whatever gets us through with a less traumatic result is what we are going for. :) So I have until November 8th to look at his perfect little smile. He is gonna totally hate me that week too. The day after this ordeal, we go for his 5 year old well child visit, complete with kindergarten shots. Oh Joy.  My poor boy. I know we have been so fortunate to make it this long with that tooth though and it won't be long before the others will come out when they are supposed to. I just hate that his preschool graduation and first day of kindergarten, ball pictures, all that he will have a stinking hole in the top middle of his little mouth. crap........

It's just a tooth
He will loose it anyway
Protect the permanent tooth
Lots of kiddos are snaggle tooth
It could be a bazillion times worse

Repeat. Over and over.
These things are hard on a Mamas heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment