Thursday, December 22, 2011

Back porch...hunting

Christmas at the farm....continued...
Instead of getting up early Saturday am as planned, we slept in til about 7ish. I was kinda disappointed because it is generally the only time of the year that I can hunt with Josh simply because of childcare. Anyway, sleeping in turned out to be great for us. We got to sleep, eat a nice breakfast, and relax some when we saw about 5 deer in the back yard. There are always a ton of deer at the farm and we often joke about shooting them from the porch, well that's basically what happened. Josh went out to get the guns and I looked from the window. After several minutes of no shots, I went outside too. He was just waiting for this big ole doe to get broadside. She had her babies with her and they kept blocking the shot so it took a little longer. Finally though, Josh shot her. We were pretty sure he killed her, but she ran. So after a few minutes Josh and I went to look for her. We tracked her blood trail and after about 15 min found her. I was super excited. She was a really big deer and provided us with enough meat for the year; well her plus the one Josh shot earlier in the season. It took several hours to do all that you have to do with a deer after you kill one, but it was worth it. Josh and David did all the gross gutting and all that, Josh cut her up and I prepared the meat for the freezer. Major was super excited too when we got back. He was inspecting her and even wanted to go along with the boys while they were skinning her. I think we may have a little hunter on our hands. :)

Just a warning: there is blood in the next couple of pics....


I love how proud he is here! And notice Josh's attire??? We were totally in pajamas. I had on black snowflake pants and giraffe patterned rainboots. Haha! Not technically real hunting, but so much fun, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment