Thursday, August 12, 2010

You can not imagine how bad this thing smells

When Major was about 18 months old he formed an attachment to a particular blanket. He loves this blanket and for about the first year it was cute. The problem is that he shoves it into his mouth and sucks on it. It is the nastiest thing you have ever seen or smelled in all your life. Josh calls it the hazmat blanket. We have been good about not letting him be too Linus-like. I mean, he wasn't allowed to drag it anywhere and we didn't let him take it to school. He was allowed to have it at home and if he went to sleep over at his grandparents house and that was pretty much it. Well anyway, Josh has been begging me to get rid of the thing. My argument was that it was the only thing that Major really ever formed an attachment to and he was only allowed to have it at home. So here we are getting close to his third birthday and I, too, agree that it is time to let go of the blankey. It is so gross and will literally make you gag when you smell it, even though I wash it everyday. So Josh's solution is just every few days cutting the blanket into smaller pieces. We've cut it twice and it is now down to a third of what it was, but Major hasn't seemed to notice a bit. He just shoves what's left of it into his mouth.
Anyway, what prompted me to write this little blog is when I went to add the second cut piece to a baggie that we were going to save the shreds in, I literally almost passed out. There was moisture in the bag, even though the "clean" blanket came from the dryer straight into the bag and the little note that I had written to him describing his love for his blanket was completely soaked and the ink had smeared. NASTY!!!!!! And it smelled horrific...like something had died in that bag. Serious ewwww! So now more than ever I know that I am going to have to take that thing away, but for the first time in over 2 and a half years I feel like I don't really know how to do it. He loves it so and it is going to break his heart when it is finally gone. Guess a sad boy is much better than one who is contaminated with God knows what. Here are a few pictures of Major and his beloved blanket.

On vacation in the mountains
On vacation in Gulf Shores
Lounging
Sleeping

Notice the silkie too? Well before his blanket habit formed, he did the same thing with the silkie. I just cut the corner that he was sucking on off and he started with the blanket. Anyway, out goes the blanket. It seriously has to be a health hazard. I'm not sure what to do about the silkie. If he wants it just at bedtime that will be ok as long as it stays out of his mouth.
Parts one and two of the blanket
Have you ever in all your life seen something so nasty?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment